Wednesday, November 24, 2010

On my general milaise this season...

Just to prove I talk about things other than "The Walking Dead," let's talk about "House."

"House" is a show I've been watching since the second season. Recently, I've been a little ambivalent about it. Certainly it trends higher than some of the other shows I feel similarly about ("The Office," "Bones," "30 Rock," "How I Met Your Mother," etc) but I find it difficult to put my finger on the problem.

All of these shows have been on for more than 5 seasons now... have they run out of ideas? Not necessarily. I think they're simply failing to take chances any more. Take a look at "House" for example: they've done a couple crazy things to shake up the status quo. I'm even enthusiastic about the House/Cuddy relationship. So what's the problem then?

I think it's that I don't feel surprised any more. One of the strengths of "House" has always been it's shock value to some degree. House says the things we can't and we love him for it. He's an asshole, and that's what's so compelling. Recently, though, I feel like I've become so used to it that there's no impact. Take for example, last night's episode. All of House's digs were centered on religion. Certainly this would be shocking on any other show but on "House" this is old hat. We get it. Enough already.

What's really been working for me so far this season is exploring the relationship between House and Cuddy. My favorite episode this season was episode 5, "Unplanned Pregnancy," where House (and then Wilson, by proxy) found himself babysitting Cuddy's daughter. Sure, this isn't the territory we normally explore, but that's what makes it so interesting - pushing the envelope. Taking the characters we know and putting them into new situations. It made for a fascinating, not to mention hilarious, episode and I wish they'd give us many more like it. Sure, they pushed the week's case off into the background, but who cares any more? Except for certain standouts, the cases just aren't that interesting any more. What is interesting is the interaction between the characters (and, of course, Houses antics - well at least they used to be).

Don't play it safe! Take chances and explore new themes. Sure we're still watching it but no one's talking about it any more. This means it's good but not great. It's a shame too because I know they can do it if they want to.

I'd rate the season so far a 3.5 out of 5, and last night's episode, "Small Sacrifices" a 2.5.

Also, "How I Met Your Mother," Season 6, Episode 10, "Blitzgiving" rates a 3, and "the Walking Dead," Season 1, Episode 4, " Vatos"rates a 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment